Sunday, December 31, 2006

Fragile Wings


Don't say that I will depart tomorrow-
even today I am still arriving.
Look deeply: every second I am arriving
to be a bud on a Spring branch,
to be a tiny bird, with still-fragile wings,
learning to sing in my new nest,
to be a caterpillar in the heart of a flower,
to be a jewel hiding itself in a stone.
I still arrive,
in order to laugh and to cry,
to fear and to hope.
The rhythm of my heart
is the birth and death of all that is alive.


by Thich Nhat Hanh
(excerpt from "Please Call Me By My True Names")

1 comment:

  1. Courtney, this art piece is beautiful, haunting, full of life and rebirth.

    "The rhythm of my heart
    is the birth and death of all that is alive."

    I love this quote. All of our hearts beat with both life and with death. We are all made of both, from one and headed toward the other, flitting around on our fragile wings. And then, it is our death and our legacy which feeds the cycle back around again. And what is in between? Beautiful living.

    ReplyDelete