Saturday, June 23, 2007

Art...Revisited


I created this piece (in its original form) in 2003. During my recent encaustic frenzy, I pulled this piece out of my closet and doused it with color and wax, adding a bit more life and vibrancy to it. I often revisit my art. Sometimes I end up ripping pieces apart and reassembling, and other times I add more color, layers, or texture. I feel like this revisiting is similar to how I experience my life. At times I've needed to scrape away at my life to find the hidden gems. Yet other times I've torn everything down and started again. More commonly, I add some texture or color to enhance what is already there. I wonder if sculptors view their lives in terms of building and molding. Do graphic artists see life as a series of quick clicks of the mind which have the power to create great change? I know that my mother, a novelist, sees her life in terms of narrative arcs and metaphors. Does art imitate life or does life imitate art? Or are our creations simply extensions of ourselves?

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful piece and great post, Court. Your thoughtfulness is always inspiring, thank you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creations=extensions of self.
    Therefore Art imitates Life.
    But Life feeds on Art.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your post, Diane. It reads like a poem AND a mathematical formula!

    It makes a lot of sense to me; I think there is a cyclical relationship a bit. How could life and art not feed off of each other...

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. LIFE feeds on LIFE feeds on LIFE....

    This IS NECESSARY... This is NECESSARY!

    (this quote probably only funny to Soapy.)

    ReplyDelete