Sunday, February 24, 2008

Valentine for Your Suffering

2.5" x 3" paper collage

Tonight, while my sweetie lay sleeping (snoring ever so rhythmically), I constructed a teeny-tiny late-night collage. With my desk lamp bent down low to obstruct the light in the room and with soft music masking the grating sound of my scissors, I produced this little ditty in just a few minutes.

Lately I've been wondering about how to witness another's suffering with strength and grace. I've been witnessing my dad's suffering for two weeks now and each time I am with him during a difficult spell, I wonder about how it is I am actually helping him. In producing this collage tonight, I remembered what my dad told me before his surgery when I asked if there was anything I could do for him. He wrote in a typically brief email back to me: "Just love me." Perhaps that is the answer to my question about witnessing suffering: perhaps just loving him is enough right now. Perhaps loving him is all I can really do.


2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Someone else with monkey mind.
    Yes, just love him. Ms. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. The 'inaction' that is just loving is often so much harder than taking physical action. I know that just being with someone that understands you and what you're going through, and who cares for you, there can be just the support needed.

    ukyzcq: a very difficult pill to swallow

    ReplyDelete