Sunday, July 20, 2008

Nighttime Sun, Daylight Moon

I've been contemplating opposites lately -- and realizing that they're not exactly opposites, but more like two parts of the same circle. Birth and death. Health and illness. Day and Night. Sun and Moon. My brain and a cheese grater. Well, the last one I made up, but you get the point.

I'm finding some minor crumb of peace in seeing the cyclical aspects of life and visualizing endings bringing about new beginnings. Thinking about endings (particularly related to my dad's life) most often makes me weepy and shaky and unsettled. But, I'm trying on this harmony of opposites idea. I'm trying on being a little more Zen, a little more Deepak Chopra, a little more earth mother goddess. I'm holding on to the rhythms of the sun and moon as if together they create my life preserver ring. I've even been contemplating getting sun and moon tattoos. Not sure I'm ready for that endeavor yet, so in lieu of body scarification, I present these two art pieces I created tonight:


Collage painting on canvas, "Nighttime Sun," 6" x 6"


Collage painting on canvas, "Daylight Moon," 6" x6"


1 comment:

  1. hey there! HOw are you?? First, the tattoo idea - love it. I think tattoos can be so healing and so symbolic. I have several, and they all mean something and mark different stops on my journey.
    I wish I could take that writing from your body workshop! It sounds amazing!
    how is your dad? how is your family? you guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete