Monday, August 18, 2008

Art Journal Entry #1


Tonight I had the urge to do some art journaling, so I scurried up to Bartell's and bought some glitter paint pens and a sketch book. It's not that I don't have plenty of art supplies to work with already, but when I found that photo of my dad kissing me as a baby, I knew I needed to work with glitter and stars and crayons and other kid-friendly materials.

It's funny how set on glitter pens I was when I left the house. You would have thought I was hungry or injured or in need of using the bathroom by the way I hurried to the store. No anti-bacterial ointment or trail mix for me. No toothpaste, dishwashing detergent, Tylenol, or maxi pads. This was more important -- I needed glitter pens and I needed to create. After finding the pens, I rushed to the cashier, out running a lady buying diapers and baby wipes. I said "sorry" in my head as I blew past her, but I somehow couldn't say it aloud. Once I got the pens home, I felt better. I ripped open the package and began creating. I felt my heart relax, my breath slow.

It is still amazing to me how urgent the impulse to create can feel. I feel a deep hunger that's resolved with color and gesture. The act of creating is like digesting food, allowing my heartache to churn and churn and turn into something beautiful.


2 comments:

  1. The act of creating is like digesting food, allowing my heartache to churn and churn and turn into something beautiful.


    I feel the same way. Very well put.

    (love your blog)

    ReplyDelete