Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Art Journal Entry #3


Here's a poem I wrote in 2002 (per my friend Steve's request for me to post more of my own writing):

FATHER MOON

On the moon of my menarche
my father compared the red of my period
to the spaghetti sauce I swirled
into my pasta, circling the white hair-
like strands into streams of moist crimson.
It was our secret: below, my uterus
released several streams
of red birds who landed as inked
half-moons on the miniature
pad my father picked out so carefully
as if he found the best canvas
for his daughter’s art.


[My dad was a health and P.E. teacher for much of his career, and bodily functions were easy subjects to discuss with him. After he gave his 9th grade health class anatomy quizzes, I would help my dad grade them, and we would laugh hysterically together at the mistakes and colloquialisms. I could ask my dad questions about anything related to reproductive health or health in general, and he made many drug store runs for me and my mom to purchase tampons and maxi pads. He was never embarrassed. And he always got our specific orders right.

I just found out last night that my dad was featured on the home page of the Lakeside School website. My dad worked at Lakeside up until two weeks before he died. He loved his work and was adored by the students there. To view the article, visit http://www.lakesideschool.org.]


2 comments:

  1. Powerful and Beautiful. I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    Sarah

    http://www.thetreadmillguide.com

    ReplyDelete