Thursday, October 30, 2008

Honoring the Dead

"Father," mixed media collage, 7" x 8"


Here is my response to the art prompt from this Thursday's Inspire Me Thursday. The theme is Día de los Muertos, or the Day of the Dead.

This year I couldn't quite get into the Day of the Dead aesthetic of sugar skulls and marigolds; instead I was drawn to Japanese imagery with coy, yin & yang, and the kanji for "father." As I have learned to do over the years, I just followed my intuition and allowed the feeling of honoring the dead to fill the page.


5 comments:

  1. I spoke too soon. The right side of this image is getting cut off by the column margin. Blogspot isn't automatically shrinking it.

    Technical nonsense aside, I like this piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better now? I did some image size manipulation, etc. Sheesh, transferring to another Blogger template has become a little complicated!

    Bear with me as I work out the kinks!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect response! I like the colors and images.

    ReplyDelete