Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Birthday Remembered

"Birthday No. 63," mixed media collage, 4" x 5"


Today my dad would have turned 63 years old. While it feels like my dad is frozen in time at 62, I like to imagine him turning 63. I like to imagine giving him another hot air balloon ride gift as we did when I was young. This time, though, I like to imagine that the balloon ride actually clears the tips of the trees and that the "champagne breakfast" consists of real champagne and some lovely pastries and fruit, instead of sparkling cider and wieners cooked over propane canisters. I like to imagine him rising higher and higher, so he can see the whole city -- lakes and parks and snaking roads. I like to imagine that he feels peace and lightness at such an altitude and that he is not scared. Not for one moment.


1 comment:

  1. I know that the loss is too deep to ever completely go away. It's always difficult on their birthdays and anniversaries.

    ReplyDelete