Saturday, November 29, 2008

Something Warm is Brewing

This morning I extracted the encaustic supply bins from my closet (now that's no small feat!) and embarked on a wax painting journey.

I wish I could report that my creating time was filled with inspiration and flow. I wish I could say I love the pieces I created today. I will say, though, that it was lovely to make a mess of the kitchen with art supplies and to use my powerful heat gun to burn in the wax (using that heat gun sure brings out the Athena warrior in me).

I guess it was just one of those days when the muse was sleeping off her wild partying from the night before. I kept trying to wake her up, but I heard snoring. (I don't know about you, but my muse has a bit of a snoring issue.)

In any case, I did create one piece that I am somewhat pleased with. I've titled it "Meeting at the Comb" for now:


Encaustic, 6" x 6"

It's amazing to me how pieces can evolve and change over time. Perhaps this piece above will change a bit more before it feels "done." Despite this morning's muse struggle, I must say that I have been quite prolific this fall. I suppose one morning of feeling a little lackluster is okay. After all, I do have many, many newer pieces that I am quite pleased to be matting and framing for my upcoming Art Show on December 11.

This art show is a meaningful one for me, for I am donating 50% of the proceeds from my original art, art cards, and art prints to the Kidney Cancer Association in honor of my dad who died of kidney cancer this past August. I would love to see you here, so please consider attending! There will be wine and food and art and jewelry (Kristin Stubbs, jewelry artist extraordinaire, will be joining me) and merriment and commemoration.

Click on this poster to view in a larger size:

And click here for the complete poster, which includes artist statements: http://www.rising-bird.com/ArtShow-Dec08.pdf



5 comments:

  1. Warm and beautiful blog. A fellow artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I love encaustics - your bee painting is cute! Good luck with the show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your muse was just quiet. That's a lovely painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your painting but then I love encaustics!!!
    My muse sleeps too but every now and again wakes up and gets energetic!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am enjoying your blog. Really like your encaustics. Arlene won't let me near encaustics yet. She has this crazy idea they can be messy. :0

    ReplyDelete