Monday, January 19, 2009

Creative Bursting


Trusting Myself, encaustic, 6" x 6" (SOLD)

It's a new year (thank goodness!) and I have several creative ideas up my sleeve. The hard part, though, is to know which ones to follow. I don't want to spread myself so thin with a jumble of half-actualized ideas. I need to focus. And trust my intuition, trust myself (hence the encaustic piece above). As part of my musing process, I thought I would ask you all what you think about a few of my ideas.

My first idea was inspired by the beautiful artist Bridgette Guerzon Mills of
Contemplating the Moon. On her website, Amanobooks, she has a page for sending virtual cards (unfortunately, the link to the virtual cards page is broken at the time of this writing). She has 6-8 art pieces that you can send as e-cards. I love this idea! I've already started thinking about what art pieces might work well for this, and my brother Chris has agreed to work on the web development end of things. Are there any card ideas/messages you'd like to see for such a page, like "I miss you because you make me want to break dance" or "go get 'em, tiger"? I'd love your input on this.

My second idea requires a bit of boldness (see my blog post at The Healing Nest for more information about my burgeoning boldness): I aspire to facilitate more workshops. Over the past year I have given three workshops: two "Abundance Box" art workshops and one "Writing from Your Body" workshop. All of my other workshop attempts were canceled due to lack of participation. Sigh. Double sigh. But because I so love to plan for workshops, all of my energies were not wasted. I now have some tasty kernels to work with if I chose to give these workshops in the future.


But back to my current question: what workshops should I propose to the universe (okay, the Seattle area)? Based on your knowledge of me and your interests, what would you like to see me offer? A friend of mine mentioned to me that she wants to create art, but she doesn't quite know where to start. Another friend showed interest in learning encaustic techniques. I'd love to hear your ideas!

I want to move boldly into this new year, and I would love your scintillating ideas. Thank you!


5 comments:

  1. I love blank cards.
    This may seem obvious but what about a class on collage? You use it so well. Teach not just the "how" but the thought process and theory behind the work.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh goodie, virtual cards! (I second the blank/customizable card option). I also say go for the workshops, even though I can't participate. ;-) I don't know what the canceled ones were about, but I'd say arty things and other hands-on, go-home-with-a-usable-product things like aromatherapy are more accessible to more people, and something people are more likely to pay for in these times of tight belts. I know that if I were in Seattle I'd go for those!

    Good luck, and keep us posted. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Workshop ideas: Reiki/Massage/Intuitive Healing for your Pet. Couples Massage. Creating Art in Nature (remember our plans for this workshop?). Poetry and Collage (where you create poems and art from found objects!). Collage Open Studio (where you provide materials and art tools).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    This is the first time I visited your blog. Your class ideas sound great. I have given various classes and workshops in the past and sometimes not enough people are interested, but I just keep trying. I have done a "soul card" workshop in a women's spiritual group I belong to. Now we have a "deck" we can use for various purposes. Also I have done mask-making workshops using plaster gauze directly on your partner's face. I used to teach art classes to children in my home. It really helped me gain confidence to go onto teach workshops to adults.
    I'll come back and visit again.
    -Grace Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Binky: Great idea on a collage class. Since your post, I've been musing about this idea. Thank you!

    Wendy: Ah, that makes sense about the tangible aspect. I got a really good turn out for both Abundance Box workshops I facilitated. Thanks!

    Kristen: Such inventive ideas! And I hadn't thought of having an "open studio" before. That could be very fruitful and allow people to create in a supportive setting. I like it!

    Grace: Thank you for visiting my blog! I just visited yours. I'm already getting inspired by your work! Great reminder about persistence with offering classes.I must remember to keep trying. That soul card workshop sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete