Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Shining

Shine, mixed media collage, 4" x 5"

I've been thinking a lot lately about my relationship to shining. I am perfectly comfortable feeling the sunshine on my skin and surrounding myself with shiny, sparkly things, but I am not so sure how comfortable I am with being the shining one. I have always known I wanted to be influential in some way, but right now I am feeling confused about the idea of being in the spotlight.

For instance, what is that feeling I get right before my art shows, when I look at my partner and say, "Wait. You mean I have to be here for this?" Ah, the spotlight.

How do you feel as the shining one? Do you feel comfortable with the idea of being known, even well known? What about right-out famous? Do tell me: do you prefer to be behind the scenes, in the shining spotlight, or somewhere in between?



6 comments:

  1. your post reminded me of a favourite song "shine" by Shannon Noll

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18WWEt9DyQ8&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being in the spotlight feels slightly different to me than radiating light yourself. The two are very related though. I feel more and more like I should find ways to create light, rather than stand in the spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, I like the way you flip the shining on its head. I love the idea of creating light and not worrying so much about that spotlight.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've spent some (far too much) time today searching for new art blogs. I was getting a bit weary of reading blogs that are essentially spotlights on the blogger. I understand promoting one's work, but many people go too far and talking about themselves and their work. This is something I really didn't put a name on until I found your blog. I would say your work has a quiet shine to it.

    I am quite fond of birds myself. I love the joy they add to the world. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

    I

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comments, Kim. I'm glad that you resonated with this post! Thank you for visiting!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete