Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Boy Inside the Old Man Inside the Boy

Transcendent Age, encaustic, 10" x 12"

(click image for a larger view)

How old do you feel you are? I like to think of the digits that tick away the years as "literal age." But there is something I like to call "transcendent age" that is malleable and amorphous. It changes based on how you feel and what you are doing in your life.

Sometimes I feel like I am twelve and other times like I'm seventy. The funny thing is that I rarely feel like I'm thirty-three, my literal age. Lately I've been toggling between fifty and seven. Curious.

How old are you today?


4 comments:

  1. Yeah, that age thing is funny, isn't it?! I rarely remember my literal age accurately, and am off by a year in one direction or another, so I have to turn to my husband for confirmation! I think of myself as having 3 ages - the calendar/literal one, the physical feeling one (always older than I am!), and the imagination/day dreamer/creative one (always younger). If I average them all they probably end up being my *real* age!
    great image :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how old I feel today, but only last weekend I had a day where I felt like I was seven and wrote a post about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really hits home lately. This is a big year for me, as I turn 30 in August. I've been dreading the day since the turn of the new year. My best friend turns 30 ten days before I do and we've made plans to get new tattoos to commemorate the event. Now if that doesn't sound like something an 18 year old would do, I don't know what does. Most days I don't feel like I'm going to be 30 (more like that teenager rebelling against the world) and then some days I feel like I'm 80.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your art show! I wish I could be there, but a prior dinner party engagement beckons. Wishing you great energy.

    ReplyDelete