Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Three Selves

On Sunday, April 12 I hosted "You, Yourself, and You: A Self-Portrait Workshop" and (lucky me!) I created art along with my wonderful participants.

For four hours, we explored our past, present, and future selves (or aspects of these selves) by creating mixed media art. We used found images and objects, fabric, encaustic wax, glitter, and paint to visually represent ourselves in three parts.

What a powerful, artful day!




Jenna poses with her beautiful self-portrait triptych.

Carol Jo and her three pieces make the room shine.


I decided to focus on my empathy and the way this gift/challenge has impacted (and continues to impact) my life. Here are my three pieces:

Past: Nature Child, Protector of Birds and Critters


Present: To Touch and to be Touched


Future: Radiating Empathy in a Field of Strength





7 comments:

  1. Very nice. I especially like the Past and the Future. I think the contrast between the two, the warmth of the past and the coolness of the future, really set each piece off. There was great fire in the past and in the future it's replace with calm. In death, there is rebirth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol Jo you have tulips growing out of your head!!! :)

    Courtney it was such a privilige to be a part of this workshop. Definitely looking forward to more opportunities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are awesome!

    Especially the third one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to come to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all of your enthusiastic comments! I do plan on holding another workshop such as this -- maybe this summer. Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete