Monday, July 06, 2009

Nature's Fireworks

Nature's Fireworks, mixed media, 5" x 5"


This weekend some friends and I headed to the mountains for Independence Day. In lieu of Seattle fireworks displays, we opted for nature's wonders and sparks. I brought a few art supplies with me and sat in the sun by the American River, soaking in the sound of rushing water, and created a few little pieces.

Butterfly Birth, mixed media, 5" x 5"


Nature provides quite the display of color and sound and surprises. And with the hordes of ants, the starry sky, the wildflowers, the river's frigid splashes, campfire sparks, chipmunk squeaks, and the fleeting elk we spotted, I'd say I had quite the exciting Fourth of July.


Girl-Bird Mimicry, mixed media, 5" x 5"


And in the process, I let my body and mind relax, as I embraced time away from technology and the usual creature comforts of home. There's nothing like a morning splash-bath or head-dunk in 40-degree river water to wake the senses and make me feel ALIVE!


3 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say... I read your blog via my RSS usually. All of your work is lovely but I especially love the first image in this post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like the perfect weekend getaway!

    Love the bright colors of your paintings. They make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, you two! It's amazing how nature's vibrancy can influence my art!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete