Monday, August 24, 2009

Finding Illumination

Illuminated, encaustic, 10" x 14"

Where do you feel most illuminated, when the world--and your life on it/in it--becomes clear as moonlight shining on a cloudless night? Is there a place you like to be to find this clarity? Or do you turn inward to find it?

When I was a teenager, I used to to go to "ferny land" to find peace and clarifying thoughts. This ferny land was a little mound of earth in my front yard where many sword ferns grew. I had created a trail through ferny land and also a clearing so I could visit often. This was also the place where we buried my childhood dog, Kippy, my best friend. When I needed illumination, I ventured to this ferny spot to sit next to my dog's burial spot and I allowed the arms of the ferns to give me strength. Often, I ventured outside when there was a full moon, so even in the dark, I could see my own body illuminated as I sat in the dirt with soft fern fingers reaching out to me, seemingly holding me up.

Now where do I go when I need illumination? I go to my journal and I write, allowing my heart to fire up my thoughts. I heat up my wax and I paint, feeling the energy of beeswax buzzing around me. I even take walks through Ravenna Park and enjoy the ferns who, like those of ferny land, line the trails like generous companions.

Where do you go? What do you do?



1 comment: