Sunday, September 27, 2009

Unexpected Healing

Cat with the Hand of a Healer,
mixed media encaustic on paper, 6" x 8"



"The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves." (C.G. Jung)

I was surprised when a cat entered this piece. After all, I am known as the bird woman--the artist who places a bird in virtually every art piece. But the other day when playing art at my friend Karen's, this cat jumped into the wax and wanted to show itself as a healing force.

This is not unlike my own cats -- Selkie and Mountie -- who have given me comfort and healing many times over. Once during a panic attack, when I was shaking in bed, burning on the inside, having a hard time breathing, Selkie came to me, settled right on my stomach and chest, his paws placed over my heart. He stayed there while I trembled and until I calmed myself finally and fell asleep.

What images have appeared in your art in a surprising way, as if you didn't choose them -- as if they chose you? And what life experiences have influenced your inclusion of certain images in your art? Do tell!


2 comments: