Friday, October 16, 2009

Postage and Post Stage

Post Stage Discovery, encaustic, 6" x 6"

The First

It arrives five days early

with a sunflower on the front,

and inside, my name, a comma,

"Happy Birthday" bolded

(with exclamation point),

and just below, in tight cursive letters,

ink thick from pressing hard,

lines slanting up to the right:

I hope you have a wonderful birthday.

I don't know why you had to leave

my grandson

and break his heart,

but I wish you well.

Rose.


12/1/2004





2 comments:

  1. oh my this breaks my heart. sending you a hug and happy birthday wishes... i love your BIG buddha painting... man, wish we lived closer - would love to have a cup of tea with you. peace, jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jennifer. This is an autobiographical poem from about five years ago in December, but still resonates with me, stings a little.

    ReplyDelete