Saturday, December 26, 2009

Stepping Inside the Painting

Solstice Prayer, encaustic, 11" x 14"

I encountered these two quotations after creating the piece above and both speak to my artistic process for this encaustic specifically:

"When you start a painting, it is somewhat outside you. At the conclusion, you seem to move inside the painting."
- Fernando Botero

(I created this piece the day before my December 4th art show. I was very much outside of the piece, uncertain of my purpose or direction. Then the roots arrived and I climbed into the painting to explore. And the flower suddenly grew and the moon glowed and the bird landed on a branch. And then boom! (or bloom!) I tasted the title in my mouth.)

"A color vibration is sensed not only through vision, but in many other ways. Every color vibration has an impact on all physical systems and organs in the body, which respond to these frequencies." - Charles Klotsche

(These hues of blue and orange are new to me. I may have used them separately, but not together. And at first I wasn't sure I liked them as partners on the canvas. But I felt a vibration inside me, maybe a fluttering in the bird's wing and in my belly that said, "Yes, we are different, but we absolutely belong together.")

2 comments:

  1. I love the way you talk about stepping into the painting. This reminds me of SoulCollage...in order to read a card, one must step into it for voice with in the card to speak...and of course the voice of the card is our own wise voice...I think the same is true in creating a work of art..we must step outside of our thinking self in order to step into the work of art, which is actually journeying deeper inside or our sacred self...I hope this makes sense.

    happy new year,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is too outstanding and eye catching, you should try blogerzoom.com for advertising and marketing. Just submit your blog and rest leave it to expert team of blogerzoom to publicize your blog through all 1000s of networks then see how your blog turn into money making blog

    ReplyDelete