Thursday, June 10, 2010

Metamorphosis





I spent an afternoon with my friend Karen playing with plaster at her wonderful studio in Ballard the other day and created one piece, with several layers underneath. This last piece is the "final" version (or the latest one, anyway). Where once there was a typewriter, there is now a bird and egg! My art pieces are often like this, but I usually don't take pictures of my works-in-progress along the way so you can see what's underneath. And truth to tell, I rather like knowing a little secret about my art. Sometimes I sell an art piece and only I know that someone is not only leaving with an encaustic of a bird in a tree, but that there is a heart underneath and perhaps some scattering of letters or words. I like knowing that my process, my invisible mark, still lives.

This dynamic is similar to the layers of human beings. What parts do we wish to show to people? What layers do we only share with a partner, a companion animal, or a best friend? What aspects of ourselves do we keep absolutely private, hidden under all the other layers? What layers do we find ugly or displeasing and which layers do we take such pride in and want to share?

2 comments:

  1. love these images. intriguing texture. okay, gotta know more about plaster and this process! share!
    share! share! (o;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Massive post. Really good-looking blog. A lot of blogs, I observe these days don't really present anything that I'm interested in custom essay writing service .but I'm most definitely interest in this one. I am in reality happy with article quality and direction. This post is mark on in helpful how some thought apply to any script point. Thanks a lot for protection enormous things. I am enormously a good deal thankful used designed for this place.

    ReplyDelete